Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic

Hey you. Don’t you turn up your nose like that.

This is what I said to myself when I opened the fridge to be greeted by a two-week old head of cauliflower. It is a head, right? Or is it a bunch? I don’t know. I left it sitting in there for two weeks. Unused. Unloved. Unrecipeed.

And I asked myself, why had it taken me two weeks to unwrap that head of cauliflower?

And I answered myself, because no one else really likes cauliflower. And sometimes I don’t. Even though once I eat it, I always do.

There wasn’t a lot of good grammar going on in that prior sentence, was there?

Anyhow, I told myself (seeing as how I was apparently the only one desiring a discussion on cauliflower) that it was high time we love on cauliflower the way we love on cupcakes. Because cauliflower loves us, people. It tries to help us fight cancer. And eat low cal. And when it’s roasted with garlic, it tasted like a dream.

Which is why I’m blogging with a battle cry. Let’s band together for cauliflower. Rather than snubbing our veggies, let’s leave comments and praise them. Let’s tell cauliflower how much we cherish it’s little white soul. A thousand comments for cauliflower. That’s what I’m asking for today.

And if you’ve made it this far, well then, you should be rewarded. Offer up a comment to Ye Almighty Cauliflower today on our way to our 1,000 strong, and I you shall be eligible for a Cauliflower Power tshirt. Why? Because it’s crazy random cute and I made up a veggie-based movement at midnight tonight and needed something special to seal the deal.

You ready? Comment. Just say it. Just roast it. Just eat it on a silver fork.

Cauliflower, we love you.

Roasted Garlic Cauliflower

Ingredients:

1 head of 2-week old cauliflower (or not 2-week old cauliflower)
2 giant cloves fresh garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt & pepper
shredded smoked cheddar or bleu cheese crumbles
parsley and/or bacon bits

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean and cut cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and chopped garlic over the top. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss in the oven and allow to cook until the cauliflower is golden brown around the edges, about 30 minutes. Serve topped with cheese, if desired. Love.

46 Responses to “Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic”

Heather Morrison on November 30, 2011 at 1:15 am Reply

I do love cauliflower and have my entire life. I have great memories of sitting on the kitchen counter, I sat there until I was teenager, while my mom made a salad and I would pick all the cauliflower out of it before it even made it to the table.

Jessica on November 30, 2011 at 1:48 am Reply

This sounds amazing! I just picked up a bunch of cauliflower at the farmers market…and now I know what I have to make!

Emily on November 30, 2011 at 1:51 am Reply

Haha sounds good, might want to check the ingredients for the recipe however, 1 head of two week old LETTUCE doesn’t sound so appetizing haha

Stasha on November 30, 2011 at 3:38 am Reply

This is how I cook my broccoli!

Katrina on November 30, 2011 at 5:20 am Reply

I looove cauliflower! It’s such an underused veggie!

Bev Weidner on November 30, 2011 at 6:51 am Reply

I frickidy lurve the cauli. Roast it, oh Lordy Lord. Braise it in cream? Stop it now. Shove it in my mouth with parmesan, basil and pine nuts? UH. HUH.

Kristi on November 30, 2011 at 7:05 am Reply

My husband had never had cauliflower until we got married. Which is a shame because it means he missed out on nearly 30 years of this awesome vegetable. In soups or casseroles, covered in cheese, roasted or baked, even fried…it’s basically a perfect food.

Jessen on November 30, 2011 at 7:48 am Reply

Are you Kidding me?? I grew up eating cauliflower every week for 35 Years! My family is Palestinian, so we made Maklooba With 4 Heads (YES, 4 LARGE HEADS) and Lots are garlic, TONS of sliced onions, rice and Lamb or Chicken was the meat used. It is Delicious! I love cauliflower. Fried cauliflower Patties are yummy too

Haley Jolley on November 30, 2011 at 8:11 am Reply

Well you may have converted me! I never buy cauliflower because I know it will sit in my fridge until I finally give it to someone who will use it. Here’s to never doing that again!

Betsy on November 30, 2011 at 8:49 am Reply

Dear Cauliflower: Though you appear to be the unloved, unwanted step-sister of the more popular veggies like carrots and lettuce, it isn’t true! I adore you! I learned to love you from my mama, who made sure you were present in each salad and veggie tray she would whip up. (She also introduced me to the worship-worthy tastiness that *are* brussel(s?) sprouts, but I digress. One underappreciated veggie at a time!) You are delicious raw (plain, or with dip) or cooked. In salads, by yourself, in a mix with carrots and broccoli (that last mix being especially tasty drowned in a homemade cheese sauce…)

Steamed, with salt, pepper, a soupcon of Mrs. Dash’s seasoning and butter? Delightful. Try a piece of raw cauliflower with a Ritz cracker sometime. Don’t ask, just do. :-) And as a substitute for mashed potatoes? Fahgeddaboutit. You deserve every loving comment you receive!

(Side note – I think I have a platonic girl crush on commenter Bev. I hope this doesn’t entirely weird her out.)

Jaimee on November 30, 2011 at 8:52 am Reply

I love me some cauliflower but in all honesty, I’ve never really tried it any way but raw… this will be yummy. I just know it! :) Thanks for expanding my horizons once again!

Jessica on November 30, 2011 at 9:34 am Reply

Cauli-flower, I want to stand up and holler….. (unashamed to be quoting the Doodlebops)
    Somethered in cheese sauce? Come on people!

Steppanie on November 30, 2011 at 10:38 am Reply

I feel your pain cauliflower. Raw or cooked, I love the white flower…

mel Tardy on November 30, 2011 at 10:41 am Reply

so just wondering if you meant to say “lettuce” in the recipe?
    And, I’m NOT a lover of cauliflower, but always wish I could be. Just like Broccoli…just …cant…do…it.
    But I’ll give it a try for the kiddos!

• Brooke replied: — November 30th, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Yes. Right. Lettuce. Silly me.

Elise on November 30, 2011 at 11:40 am Reply

My husband says cauliflower looks and tastes like brains. Poor man.

Lindsay C on November 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm Reply

Ode to the Cauliflower, I like this revolution. Throw some cumin in the mix and I’m a happy chick… :)

Tauna Neerings on November 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm Reply

That cauliflower looks delicious! I prefer cauliflower smashed (like potatoes). It’s SUPER delicious that way!

And thank you to @Bev for her awesome ideas – they sound divine!! Braised in CREAM? I’m starting to salivate . . .

Anyhoo – CAULIFLOWER POWER!

Aloha!

Kalyn on November 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm Reply

I’m a fellow cauliflower fan, but I doubt we will ever get it in the top ten veggies list for most people!

Jessica on November 30, 2011 at 3:16 pm Reply

I love cauliflower. Growing up, my mom would dip it in egg, then Italian breadcrumbs, and then pan fry it in olive oil….Um, Yum, what is not to like? Your recipe sound delish!

Melrose on November 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm Reply

dear Cauliflower,

I have always been a longtime lover of yours, even though my bf claims you taste like feet.
    you are delicious oven roasted with tumeric and curry powder, and even more so when you’re battered and fried… but then again, what doesn’t taste delicious battered and fried?
    Now I will have to try you in this format. Yum.

Your longtime friend,

Mel xoxo

Kelly on November 30, 2011 at 3:55 pm Reply

I love cauliflower (as long as it isn’t raw). We grew up with it so I suppose it was never a strange and scary veggie to me. But it is awesome, steamed, roasted, stewed, so many ways!

Jessica on November 30, 2011 at 6:45 pm Reply

I have loved cauliflower since I was a little girl. Raw, roasted, smothered in a homemade spicy cheese sauce… Any way you eat cauliflower is a good way!

Carrie on November 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm Reply

Cauliflower,
    You are my good friend even though I am not always so kind to you. I allow you to wither and mold. I ignore you. Turn my back on you. I’m sorry.

I will honor you by roasting you with garlic. Do you forgive me? Thanks!

Besties always!
    Carrie

Kendra on November 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm Reply

I just don’t think I can jump on this bandwagon – as much as I want to because there are a lot of cool people standing up for cauliflower. But my mom told me never to cave to peer pressure. : )

STH on November 30, 2011 at 8:37 pm Reply

Hey, just had cauliflower for dinner! Leftovers from last night–roasted curried cauliflower, brown rice, and vegetable samosas. NOM!

Will have to try this soon!

Beezus on November 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm Reply

I do love cauliflower, I do, I do, I do! :)

Melissa B. on November 30, 2011 at 9:58 pm Reply

Here’s a haiku for cauliflower (not sure – in some areas of the country, cauliflower may have fewer syllables. here, it has 4 :)) –

yum cauliflower
    so deliciously perfect
    roasted is the best

• Brooke replied: — December 2nd, 2011 @ 12:06 am

You didn’t. You made a haiku for cauliflower.

New.favorite.person.ever.

• Blair Catalan replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 3:18 am

*There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Lisa on November 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm Reply

Goin’ back to cauli, to cauli, to cauli!!! Delish!

Alzbeta on December 1, 2011 at 12:29 am Reply

Oh, cauliflower, I will try, I will. I want to love you, and isn’t that almost as sweet as loving you already?

Marcia on December 1, 2011 at 8:58 am Reply

I love to roast cauliflower with sweet potatoes and onions too. I have been passing the colored cauliflower in the grocery store and thought it would make a lovely roasted salad.

Carolyn on December 1, 2011 at 10:44 am Reply

Love the cauliflower! Roasted is great, but my absolute favorite is the broccoli/cauliflower salad my mom makes. 1 head broccoli, 1 head cauliflower, bacon, cheddar cheese, and toss all together with coleslaw dressing. Trust me. This kicks the socks off potato salad anyday.

Leanna on December 1, 2011 at 12:43 pm Reply

I made Aloo Gobi last night with potatoes and cauliflower and coconut milk. It was so delicious, mostly in part to the humble cauliflower. Thanks man, we love that we can count on you!

Reenie on December 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm Reply

FYI….broccoli, fresh green beans, stop-light peppers, yellow squash, zuchinni, okra and even brussels sprouts, are sooo good done this way =) Try em’ ;)

• Brooke replied: — December 2nd, 2011 @ 12:05 am

Brilliant idea!

Sarah on December 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm Reply

My husband is not a fan of cauliflower and I ashamedly admit, I never made it for my kids until just recently. I used a recipe similar to yours but added some curry powder. Lo and behold, not only did my husband and kids eat it, but they asked for seconds. That. Never. Ever. Happens in my house.

Jenny on December 8, 2011 at 7:27 pm Reply

Cauliflower is wonderful when done right, and I can’t wait to try this recipe and serve it right to the fam!

Cauliflower is also really great cooked in a pan with Indian spices (cumin seeds, mustard seeds, lots of garlic and ginger, garam masala and a little cayan) or roasted and turned into blended soup with a head or two of roasted garlic. Roasted garlic makes EVERYTHING better.

Aggie on December 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm Reply

You are so funny. I have the same type of relationship with cauliflower. I buy it with good intentions, then it sits. I actually roasted some last night with big crushed cloves of garlic and goat cheese. It was heavenly. And apparently I was told by my kids that they loooooooove cauliflower. WHO KNEW?

ugg pas cher du tout on November 28, 2013 at 1:29 am Reply

SO j’ai creusé plus profond de mon âme et j’ai écrit un poème que je me sentais reflète le vrai moi intitulé In Spite Of. J’avais un collègue blogueur me dire qu’il rendit triste de le lire. Wow. Leurs conceptions, de marché jusqu’à intelligents sont tout simplement à couper le souffle. Si le style est celui de cales, des appartements, des baskets ou des bottes, les chaussures sont destinées à toutes les saisons. Pour porter Ash est d’apprécier st ..
    ugg pas cher du tout http://ugg.fundacioprahu.org/

manteau moncler on November 28, 2013 at 1:29 am Reply

(Calories aficionados place des fruits comme la pastèque, mangue et pommes, sur la liste nourriture gratuite;. Cependant, je maintiens que le fruit a trop facilement digéré sucre naturel d’être «libre») Et donc, calories est un terme mignon, innocent assez. Le concept n’a pas le soutien de la recherche et il n’y avait pas de liste définitive des aliments, mais ce qui était le mal? Mais alors calories sont sortis dans le monde où il est devenu le chouchou d’un groupe de sensationnalisme régimes riches en calories négatives. Ces régimes ont utilisé le Effectthe calories de calories perdre processusually embelli la revendication de ces aliments fait augmenté la combustion des calories métaboliquement.
    manteau moncler http://moncler.fundacioprahu.org

doudoune homme moncler on November 28, 2013 at 1:30 am Reply

Veste Moncler Femme
    doudoune homme moncler http://moncler.fundacioprahu.org

Rosalia on March 25, 2014 at 5:34 pm Reply

I hope it get a new lease of life from the Eastside City Park development. The pub shulod do really well on the edge of a park and would be a welcome addition.

www.dailymotion.com on June 6, 2014 at 10:10 am Reply

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of house .
    Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site.
    Studying this info So i’m happy to express that I have an incredibly excellent
    uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I such a lot indisputably will make
    certain to don?t disregard this website and provides it a look on a constant basis.

www.bestjuicersreviews2014.net on August 22, 2014 at 10:34 pm Reply

Hey! This post could not be written any better! Reading
    this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept
    talking about this. I will forward this page to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!