Roasted Portabello Mushroom Fajitas

Did you just smidge your nose?

I think you did.

What? Whyyyyy? Oh yes. The mushrooms.

I recognize there are those amongst us who turn a stinky eye toward mushrooms. But listen, guys. This recipe is going to change all of that.

Because no matter how much you don’t like mushrooms, it’s worth a try making mushrooms that taste like steak. And tulips. And ice skating whipporwhills. And these mushrooms do. They will defy your imagination. They will wow your senses. They will be gobbled to gone in ten seconds flat.

The secret to making ridiculously edible Portabella mushrooms, and quite frankly, ridiculously edible Portabella mushroom fajitas is this little $2 bottle of GOYA Adobo seasoning which you can buy at Whole Foods. Grab the one with cumin in it for extra awesomeness.

You’re going to toss that spice on your fajita veggies. It’s going to give it serious restaurant flavor. You’ve been warned.

You’re going to toss it on your fat slices of Portabello, right before you roast them to sizzling perfection. You’ve been warned.

Then you’re going to toss them all together into fajitas that don’t taste vegan…but they are. You may now commence the mushroom cheer.

What’s the mushroom cheer?

I dunno. I was too busy shoving my face with fajitas to get that far.

Get back to me?

Roasted Portabello Mushroom Fajitas

Ingredients:

For the Fajitas:
1/3 cup olive oil
8-16 1/2" slices Portabello Mushrooms (you'll want 2-3 slices per fajita, plan on 2 fajitas per person)
1/2 white or purple onion, sliced very thin
2 bell peppers (any color), sliced very thin
GOYA Adobo seasoning
Small tortillas (We used Mission Blue Corn & Flax Soft Taco Tortillas and they were splendid)

Optional Toppings:
Fresh Guacamole or Avocado Slices
Fresh chopped cilantro
Yellow Corn
Black Beans
Fresh lime
Toffuti Sour Cream
Vegan Cheese Shreds
Rice

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking sheet and place it in your oven while it preheats.

Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a large skillet, heat over high heat.

Drizzle the remaining oil over your portabella mushroom slices. Sprinkle them generously with GOYA Adobo seasoning (it DOES have salt in it, so while you're being generous, don't be OVERLY generous). Remove the preheated baking sheet from your oven, toss the mushrooms onto the baking sheet and spread them out to ensure they aren't touching each other. This will allow them to roast without so much sweating. Return the baking sheet to the oven and cook 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and sizzling.

Toss the onions into your hot skillet and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the bell peppers and cook until all the veggies are very, very wilted. This will take about 4-6 minutes and you'll want to be stirring the whole time to keep them from burning. Season with GOYA Adobo seasoning just before you remove them from the heat.

Serve your roasted portabellas with your fajita veggies. We topped ours with guacamole, Toffuti sour cream, and fresh chopped cilantro and they were perfection!

18 Responses to “Roasted Portabello Mushroom Fajitas”

Natalie@FourJedis on February 16, 2012 at 7:49 am Reply

What a great idea. I’ve been trying to bring my husband over to the dark side [of mushroom eating] for quite some time. This may do the trick… I mean, he eats tofu… mushrooms are so much better than tofu!

ErinCroutons on February 16, 2012 at 7:52 am Reply

Wow, these look delish! I myself am not a HUGE meat eater, but find that if I don’t have some kind of meat, I feel like I’m not eating a meal. I’m gonna give these a whirl to try to change my own mind! :)

Bev Weidner on February 16, 2012 at 9:24 am Reply

Um, ommggg. If I can’t eat 15 of these in the next 15 minutes I’m going to have 15 freak attacks. Times 15.

Connie on February 16, 2012 at 9:52 am Reply

Yum! I love mushrooms. Ever since we implemented meatless meals a few times a week, we are always looking for new recipes to try. I think this would fit the bill just perfectly. Especially with that perfect little dab of guacamole to garnish. :-)

Mel on February 16, 2012 at 10:56 am Reply

How can people NOT love mushrooms?!?! I’m pescatarian and mushrooms are one of the number one foods I crave. My daughter loves them so much she squeals at the grocery store when we pass them by. I didn’t eat them until I went meatless though, I just didn’t appreciate the flavor and texture that they brought to the table. These look so DELISH!

Natalie on February 16, 2012 at 2:56 pm Reply

No nose-smidging here! Those look delicious! What’s great is you can still grill and slice up a chicken breast or two for the meat-eaters in the family. I need to make this meal with some refried beans immediately. :)

Appetite for Conversation on February 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm Reply

Looks great. I love making fajitas in the oven, too!

Skye on February 17, 2012 at 9:44 am Reply

My mouth is watering! I love mushrooms and I love veggie fajitas but I’ve never made them myself. Thank you for this splendid and easy-looking recipe!

• Brooke replied: — February 21st, 2012 @ 1:09 am

You’re gonna LURVE them! Don’t say I didn’t warn you! ;)

suz on February 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm Reply

Just made these for dinner….my daughter ate them deconstructed style…loving the mushrooms…my son was a harder sell….same flavours but threw some chicken on the grill with the adobe and cumin seasoning….love. thanks for sharing,

• Brooke replied: — February 21st, 2012 @ 1:07 am

Brilliant! On the grill is so the way to go!

Aggie on February 26, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reply

Want!!!

Betsy on February 28, 2012 at 10:11 pm Reply

Ohmygosh. WANT. :-) I had a portabella “burger” (with cheese, grilled onions, and all the fixings) at a local restaurant (which they’ve since taken off the menu…boooo!) and it was to-die-for. I tried to get the chef to spill his secret, but no dice. It had the taste and texture of a grilled burger! So I for one certainly did no such thing as smidge my nose at these gorgeous fajitas lol

Mel on March 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm Reply

I’m a month or so behind but just have to comment and say how delish these were! My daughter and I are mushroom fans anyway but these were so fantastic that she kept running back to get more mushroom fixings from the pan to eat like finger food. She may have stolen one from my plate when I wasn’t looking! Honestly, I’m a huge fan of your blog and make your recipes all the time. I’m vegetarian and my husband is not so we’re loving the amazing family friendly vegan recipes you make now.

• Brooke replied: — March 29th, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

AHHH! I’m sooo glad! THANK YOU!

Christian Friborg on November 20, 2012 at 10:42 pm Reply

I’ve tried making chicken fajitas for dinner. Why do I have a feeling that this dish tastes better? Haha. Portabello mushrooms are awesome.

discount quinceanera dresses on May 4, 2013 at 9:05 am Reply

I have to express my appreciation to the writer just for bailing me out of this instance. Right after exploring through the search engines and meeting proposals which are not productive, I believed my entire life was gone. Being alive without the solutions to the problems you’ve resolved all through your entire short article is a crucial case, and the ones which could have in a wrong way damaged my entire career if I had not noticed your web page. Your know-how and kindness in controlling a lot of things was helpful. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not come across such a solution like this. I am able to at this moment look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for the specialized and result oriented help. I will not think twice to refer your blog post to anybody who will need tips on this subject.

15. Pingback: (via Roasted Portabello Mushroom Fajitas | Cheeky Kitchen) « We Live Social