Notice: Undefined variable: show_stats in /home/cheekyki/public_html/wp-content/plugins/stats/stats.php on line 1384

Veggie Pot Pie Soup

I picked my children up from school today and forgot to ask them how their afternoons had been. I was too hopped up after watching “Forks & Knives” (a documentary currently available on Netflix) to not talk.

“Guys. We’ve been trying to eat better, but we’ve got to DO this. The cancer and heart disease and diabetes rate for people who consumer animal protein are measurably larger than those who don’t. So, we’ve got to do this. We’ve got to make every meal possible vegan or vegetarian.”

I felt the passion beating in my heart. The speech was on par with the Gettysburg address. Moving. Powerful.

Rejected.

The family teenager copped an attitude, “Great mom. That’s great. I’ll just have to start eating bacon in secret.”

He debated me most of the evening. Tried to state made-up carnivorous facts. Sulked and whined and insisted his need for a half-side of steak every week.

At some point, I did what most moms have learned to do with know-it-all teenagers. You smile and nod, pat them on their furry heads, and then cook up a kickass meal. Because, I don’t care how much you THINK you need meat, if your mama can wow you with some seriously rich and hearty soup, you’re going to give in. It’s the only option.

And so it was tonight. The teenager bent his head over his bowl, scooped heaping masses of Veggie Pot Pie soup into his face, asked for seconds, then said,

“Okay, okay. I could eat like this all the time. Vegan rocks.”

To which I replied with a wink and a gentle nod.

Because being a know-it-all, veggie-making mama rocks bananas.

[cft format=0]

20 Responses to “Veggie Pot Pie Soup”

1. k..this sounds yum. i watched knives over forks a few months ago and absolutely loved it. i can’t wait for more vegan recipes from you (cuz you’re gonna post more, right????) i can honestly say that when i eat whole food, plant based i don’t crave sugar, dairy, or meat and i never feel hungry. AND i have so much energy!

2. Skye says:

I love veggie pot pie (my favorite is the seitan pot pie from the cookbook Veganomicon) and I love veggie soup too… this looks like it could end up as one of my favorite recipes! I’ve been meaning to watch Forks Over Knives but my boyfriend doesn’t want to watch it with me… I think he’s afraid it will make him want to change his unhealthy eating habits. Any tips??

3. Gwen says:

This looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it! I think my family will be happy enough with this to not notice the lack of meat, too. :)

4. Haha, I love this. I haven’t seen knives over forks yet but I completely agree with the general idea. Your soup looks sooo delicious :D And I love that you added gnocchi, what a cool idea!

5. Bree says:

I need this in my life. Like now.

6. Kari says:

We watched this in December and made the change for our “New Year’s Resolution”…the food is great, I’m down 6 pounds without even trying and I love it. The hardest part is finding new things to make so I’m looking forward to more recipes from you. :) Oh, and we’ll totally be trying this one too!

7. kathy says:

Yay Brooke I love it!! And once your family starts eating more DELICIOUS vegan meals they will realize that plant-based food tastes delicious and just makes you feel good.

And for the picky teens – you can try some of the Gardein and Daiya products. The chickn tenders, buffalo wings and more are pretty awesome. Daiya cheese is perfect for pizza. And tempeh bacon rocks!

I cant wait to see how your passion from Forks Over Knives pans out! I’m here to help if you need inspiration!!

xxoxoxox k

8. [...] Okay, I’m sure you’ve gotten your Recommended Daily Allowance of chicken by now, so let me switch gears and leave you with a couple of recipes from the fruit-and-vegetables food group. Brooke McLay says she’s trying to nudge her family toward a healthy vegetarian diet, and her first step was this “seriously rich and hearty” veggie pot pie soup. It’s made with 16 ounces of gnocchi plus 6 different veggies, and Brooke says even the carnivorous teenager in her house couldn’t help asking for seconds. (Cheeky Kitchen) [...]

9. Adriana says:

My husband used your recipe and it was DELICIOUS! My little one liked it too. Thanks for sharing!

10. Kim says:

Just made this soup last night and it was a HIT with the family…just like all your recipes are! So delicious. Thanks for always giving me meal ideas that wow family and friends!

11. Monica says:

Loved the flavor of this soup. I didn’t have all the ingredients so I substituted the vegiie broth for some chicken broth plus drained corn juice and potatoe water! I made my own gnocchi which we didn’t like at all…next time I will just put potatoes in instead. Maybe the store bought kind is better. Overall I would make this again…the flavor was wonderful!

12. [...] So, I decided to hit up Pinterest for some inspiration. I remembered that I had found a recipe for veggie pot pie soup with gnocchi. I have a really hard time sticking to a recipe – mostly because I always have [...]

13. Julie says:

I made this and it could not get any better! I have been vegan for 6 months now (15 lbs gone!) and this is the comfort food I was craving! Thank you.

I am a low fat vegan and so I fried with a little water instead of margerine and YUM!

14. Cathy says:

I made this last night! We couldn’t get enough and I’m so thankful we have leftovers! Round 2 today! Absolutely delicious!

15. Sarah says:

Tried it and loved it, have made it twice and it’s on the menu again this week. Thanks!

16. Bailey says:

I made this last night for dinner along with some fresh bread and my meat-n’-potatoes husband LOVED it! I didn’t tell him it was vegan though….he doesn’t need to know….

17. What a cute post! And the soups fantastic. Once you research the meat, egg and diary industries practices, you’ll have no problem being vegan! Trust me! ;)