How to Make a Hanging Pot Rack in 15 Minutes

When I moved into my own house this summer, just before le divorce, the kitchen became a big-time downsize, which isn’t such a horrid event (we did, after all, have a house, and that is something quite spectacular). Except that my kitchen is my lab is my creative studio is my job is where I store everything under the sun that I use for blogging and food photography. So, there’s been a lot of shuffling items and tossing items and not being able to find what I need, because there’s no space to actually…you know…give anything it’s own space.

I settled very quickly in the need for a hanging pot rack. Except, the cheap ones are fugly and the expensive ones are…well…expensive. Add to those concerns the giant fluorescent light hanging smack-dab in the middle of the kitchen, and it felt like the whole idea was becoming one of those too-giant projects that might remain unprojected. Undaunted, I felt certain there was a fairly simple solution, some way to create exactly what I needed with my bare, girlie hands, a properly juiced up drill, and a few basic items from the local hardware store.

I peeked online, checked out a few blog posts, and sought inspiration from Houzz, then took the photos to Home Depot. The concept I pulled together was to take two brackets from the closet-storage aisle of the store, mount them securely on the wall, then utilize a heavy-duty curtain dowel and S-hooks to make and over-the-window pot rack. Total cost for the project, less than $60, and I was on my way home to tame the beast. Or rather, the pots. But stop being picky about my nouns. I’m feeling too womanly to worry about nouns these days.

With a level, a stud finder, and a drill, I decided exactly where to hang the brackets above my window. Since my kitchen window is 4 feet wide, I decided to place a third bracket just above the center of the window to ensure proper securage on my project. My oldest son commented when it was all finished, “great on placing the third bracket. This thing woulda died if it wasn’t there.”

That said, the actual putting up of three brackets, nine screws, and a single 4″ long curtain rod took about 20 minutes. I decided to hang the brackets nearly flush with the top of my window to allow plenty of head space above the kitchen sink so we’re not always hitting pots, but just high enough to keep the pots on the rack easily accessible from their S-hooks.

The kids stood by like paparazzi, screaming, “Mom! You totally did that! You totally made that thing!”

We’re excitable when we figure out I can do cool stuff. Once, long ago,  I used to just do dishes and laundry and all the generally “girlie” tasks around our house.  Nowadays I do everything and it’s not a shabby gig. Except for mice catching. That gig is super shabby.

I adored this project because in less than an hour, it felt like I’d completely transformed my entire kitchen. Drawers and cupboards that had been overstuffed were now empty and ready for organizing. The kitchen sink now feels like a functional part of the kitchen, rather than a black hole for dirty dishwater. And I LOVE not having to lean over and hunt through stacks of overloaded pots to find just the one I’m looking for.

Needing a leetle kitchen redo this January? Grab a drill, head to Home Depot, and get your girl on. This project is sexy simple, and soo fun to have done.

Rowr.

12 Responses to “How to Make a Hanging Pot Rack in 15 Minutes”

Bev @ Bev Cooks on January 10, 2013 at 8:47 am Reply

This is bad to the BONE! And um, I missed the divorce news. OMG. xoxoxo.

Robin on January 10, 2013 at 10:03 am Reply

how very inventive! I too am dealing with a smaller kitchen and have plans to make a hanging pot rack. I am going to do mine out of a wooden pallet. I not only like to cook but try to recycle everything. Your idea is much faster! :)

Rana on January 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm Reply

Good on you, Brooke! Love this idea.

Janet Hellis on January 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm Reply

Necessity is the mother of invention! Bravo Brooke!

anna on January 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm Reply

atta girl! oo what nice pots and bowls you have…

Becky Delson on January 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm Reply

My kitchen window/cupboard configuration is identical to yours! I am sooooo inspired by this project! Thank you!

Chris on April 8, 2013 at 5:35 am Reply

Thanks Brooke, I knew exactly how I wanted to hang my fry pans and went looking on how to do it myself (go girlpower). I knew if I looked long enough I would find what I’m looking for on a budget, and you gave me the exact answer I was looking for, so thanks heaps.
    although I have a hubby, I love DIY no men allowed. Its such an achievement, so thanks again.

Hangingpot on April 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm Reply

Making your kitchen as efficient and organized as possible will defiantly ease the stress that cooking can cause. Your DIY wall pot rack has helped you to clear much needed cabinet space and create an atmosphere that is totally functional and provide more room to prepare your daily meals. Great job!

Leon Jandrin on May 18, 2013 at 7:19 am Reply

In 2008 and 2009, with the downturn in the housing market, The Home Depot announced the layoff of several thousand associates, as well as the closing of 54 stores nationwide, including the entire EXPO Design Center chain.:^..,

View all of the most popular content at our new blog

Brian on December 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm Reply

You could add shelf to that to

Kati on January 29, 2014 at 9:53 pm Reply

I love this idea, but wondering if you’ve had trouble with the S-hooks coming off when you take pans down?

orquestas De puerto rico on May 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm Reply

Hey I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you
    bby error, while I wass browsing on Aol forr something else,
    Anyways I am here now and woujld just like to say thanks a loot
    for a marvelous post and a all round exciting blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go throhgh it all at the moment but I have book-marked iit and allso added in your RSS feeds, sso
    when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do kep up the excellent work.