Lemon Tarragon Gin Mojitos

The realization struck as I was rifling through dresses at my favorite discount store.

That one’s too long, my knees will sweat.

That one’s to heavy, I’m going for flowy here.

That one’s not breezy enough.

And as I searched for a shorter and shorter dress, one that hung loose and flowy with tank-top straps and a mid-thigh rise, it settled upon me.

This is summer.

It happened again as I was padding barefoot around the kitchen. Prepping antipasto platters and lighting candles on the patio. Pink Martini playing on the radio.

This is summer.

I wait all year for this. It’s a feeling in my mind. A sense of slow, simmery perfection. A vision of evenings hot enough for sundresses, and a circle of friends pulled up around a platter of chilly eats and crisp cocktails. Nobody in a hurry to go anywhere. Why do I strive for this? Why do I feel life should be this more? Perhaps I was meant to be Greek or Italian. Somebody somewhere, living in the South of France. The only sustenance required for my life…gin, lemons, people.

It wouldn’t be such a bad existence at all. That one of utter simplicity. That place where all the work and stress and capitalistic keeping-up-with-the Jonses bullshit melts away. And there is just a day. Food. Life. Little more.

Instead, I am left standing in the kitchen on a Thursday night. Windows open, a soft breeze blowing hot air through the windows. Ice clinking in little cups. Hips swaying to soft and groovy girl jazz. Reminding myself, “tomorrow…when it all gets hectic. This winter when there is only snow and mukluks…remember…you had this moment. You lived this moment. It was real.”

Sensing the fragility of it all, I stopped and sucked in breath. Closed eyes. Decided it was enough.

And when everyone was gathered around the patio, Lemon Gin Mojitos in hand, garnished with fresh tarragon from my garden. I realized. I don’t need this everyday. Everyday would take away from it being so rare and splendid. Synergy of mind and moment and minidress. Enough to stave me over until the next time I realize…this. is. summer.

Summer. Summer. Summer. So happy.

Lemon Gin Tarragon Mojitos

Yield: 1 mojito

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Inspired by my summer obsession with mojitos, and my long-standing obsession with the Corpse Reviver (licorice-flavored absinthe plus lemon), these gorgeously simple cocktails were birthed for last night's patio party and enjoyed enough by all that I decided to share. Make, drink, enjoy.

Ingredients:

2 lemon slices
1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 ounces gin
Fresh tarragon
1 can sparkling water, lemon flavored
ice

Directions:

Squeeze lemons into the bottom of a glass. Add agave, gin, and a few fresh-chopped leaves of tarragon. Add ice. Fill remaining space in glass with sparkling water. Garnish with a few tarragon springs & a straw for mixing the drink together and sipping.

9 Responses to “Lemon Tarragon Gin Mojitos”

KaraLyn Drake on August 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm Reply

Whoa Brooke, this is a very different post for you. Something’s changed.

Amanda on August 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm Reply

Did I miss something? Short skirts, alcohol…?

A. Lewis on September 13, 2013 at 10:26 am Reply

I saw this and tried it immediately. Absolutely delicious! Never thought of tarragon garnish. Adds a little zing. Ahhh… summer. =) Love the website.

http://www.happylivesdating.co.uk/blogs/entry/deciding-upon-uncomplicated-methods-of-casio on December 29, 2013 at 2:38 pm Reply

The solid nature of Casio’s G-Shock brand coupled with increasing functionality drawn sports enthusiasts, manual workers and those with an adventurous streak.
    However, if making a choice from such a tremendous variety confuses you, then just go in depth in choosing the proper kind
    of model for yourself. Each G-shock is different, however, and some will offer even over the four basic features, like solar technology, tide graphs,
    moon age data, and temperature resistance.

advanced biofuel on January 9, 2014 at 12:52 pm Reply

Excellent keen analytical eye regarding detail and can anticipate complications before
    they occur.

Michael Kors black leather handbag on February 5, 2014 at 12:21 am Reply

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.
    Michael Kors black leather handbag http://www.alphafiresystems.co.uk/images/nav/michael-kors.asp?p=Michael-Kors-black-leather-handbag.html

DC Comics snapback hats on February 5, 2014 at 12:21 am Reply

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.
    DC Comics snapback hats http://www.methuen.co.uk/Workflow/hats.asp?p=DC-Comics-snapback-hats.html

camicie uomo burberry on February 5, 2014 at 12:22 am Reply

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally visit my website =). We could have a hyperlink trade arrangement between us!
    camicie uomo burberry http://www.microcredito.lazio.it/allegati/burberry.asp?p=camicie-uomo-burberry.html

museo prado on February 5, 2014 at 12:22 am Reply

I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever before.
    museo prado http://www.mallcampania.com/extranet/prada.asp?p=museo-prado.html